Help & support

Alcoholism is like an illness where people have lost control over their drinking and usually need help to stop.

Coping with someone else’s drinking can be difficult. It is important to take care of yourself. Try talking about how you feel with someone you trust. Sharing your feelings is not being disloyal to your family but it can help you to feel less alone. There are many people and places that can help, a few of which are listed below.

You are not alone.

Nacoa – Helping everyone affected by their parent’s drinking

Nacoa provide support, information and advice to children of alcohol-dependent parents and others concerned with their welfare.

Helpline: 0800 358 3456


Adfam is a national charity working to improve life for families affected by drugs or alcohol.


Al-Anon Family Groups

The Al-Anon Family Groups are a fellowship of relatives and friends of alcoholics who provide support to anyone whose life is, or has been, affected by someone else’s drinking. In some areas there are also Alateen groups who support young people aged twelve to seventeen who are affected by a problem drinker.

Helpline: 0800 0086 811

Adult Children of Alcoholics (ACA)

Fellowship of women and men who grew up in alcoholic or otherwise dysfunctional homes.

Helpline: 07071 781899

Alcohol Change UK

Alcohol Change UK is a national charity working to create a world free from the harm caused by alcohol. They do this through expanding knowledge, campaigning for better policy and regulation, shifting cultural norms, improving drinking behaviours and working for more and better support and treatment.


Children of Alcoholic Parents Engagement (CAPE) – Children’s Society

A new, national capacity building programme for professionals who work with and support children affected by parental alcohol misuse


Dan 24/7 – Wales Drug and Alcohol Helpline

DAN 24/7 is a free and bilingual telephone helpline providing a single point of contact for anyone in Wales wanting further information and / or help relating to drugs and / or alcohol.

Helpline: 0808 808 2234
Text: 81066


DrugFAM provides support to families, carers and friends affected by substance abuse. Helpline available 7 days a week from 9am-9pm every day of the year.

Helpline: 0845 388 3853

The National Association for People Abused in Childhood (NAPAC)

Napac provide support and information for people abused in childhood.

Helpline: 0800 801 0331


The NOFAS-UK Helpline responds to enquiries from parents, family members, carers and others needing advice or referrals for children with FASD disabilities.

Helpline: 020 8458 5951

Scottish Families Affected by Alcohol and Drugs

If you are concerned about someone’s alcohol or drug use contact us today on our free and confidential helpline. Available 9am-11pm Monday to Friday and as a call-back service on weekends.

Helpline: 08080 10 10 11

Local Support

Back on Track, Brighton and Hove

Back on Track can help families where a parent is drinking too much alcohol to get the help they need.  You can get get one to one advice, attend a group, or speak to a practitioner.


Early Break, Greater Manchester

Early Break is a young people and family service based in Greater Manchester. It was originally established in 1994 as a specialist treatment, information and support service for children and young people who used drugs and/or alcohol.


Family Support Project, Portsmouth – The Society of St James

The Family Support Project, Portsmouth is a new service providing a range of support and interventions to families affected by alcohol use.

Phone: 0800 138 0355

Oasis Project – Brighton and Hove

Oasis help women, children and families affected by their parent’s drinking to find the strength and opportunities to make choices that lead to change. Not just for themselves, but for their families, their friends, and their communities.

Phone: 01273 696970